1. What is Direct Post?
With the increasing commercial activity in India, the need for Direct Advertising of their products and services by the business organizations is growing. Direct Mail, which can be defined as ‘printed matter usually carrying a sales message or announcement designed to elicit a response from a carefully selected consumer or business market’ is the most potent medium for Direct Advertising. In the advanced countries, Direct Mail now constitutes a pre dominant portion of mail traffic handled by Postal administrations. Direct mail can be both addressed as well as un-addressed. Direct Post is the un-addressed component of Direct Mail, and would comprise of un-addressed postal articles like letters, cards, brochures, questionnaires, pamphlets, samples, promotional items like CDs/floppies and Cassettes etc., coupons, posters, mailers or any other form of printed communication that is not prohibited by the Indian Post Office Act 1898 or Indian Post Office Rules 1933
2. What is the price per article for direct Post?
The price for the Direct Post articles is as follows:
Where Direct Post articles are tendered in quantities of over 50,000, a discount to the sender, or commission to the concerned advertising agency, of 5% would be admissible
3. Are there any other conditions for availing Direct Post?
Only un-addressed postal articles like letters, cards, brochures, questionnaires, pamphlets, samples, promotional items like CDs/floppies and Cassettes etc., coupons, posters, mailers or any other form of printed communication that is not prohibited by the Indian Post Office Act 1898 or Indian Post Office Rules 1933.
· A minimum quantity of 1000 pieces can be accepted under the ‘Direct Post’.
· Articles to be accepted have to be such that they do not exceed the length and width of an A3 size paper.
· Articles posted as ‘Direct Post’ will bear no address or name on the communication. These will be accepted in bulk in designated offices and will not be posted in a letter box.
· In case of articles meant for delivery in other towns, Direct Post articles would be accepted in PIN Code wise bundles.
4. Since when has Direct Post been introduced?
The Direct Post has been introduced by Department of Posts vide its OM no. 39-01/2001-BDD dated 2nd June 2005.
5. Can the Direct Post articles be sent out of India
No. The Direct post articles can be sent only within India
6. Whom to contact for availing of Direct Post
Direct Post articles will be accepted in designated postal offices for acceptance of Direct Post. Postal Circles will identify these offices, and designate them as ‘Direct Post Centres’. These offices could be a Direct mail Centre, Mass mailing Centre, Business Post Centre, GPO/HPO, or any other suitable office. These offices may be designated ‘Direct Post Centres’ (DPCs) for the purpose of Direct Post. Usually, only one DPC would be identified in a city.
Prospective users of Direct Post can contact Chief Postmaster Generals of their States for any inquiry in the matter. Alternatively, they can write in at email@example.com for any assistance that they may require.
6. Who can avail of Direct Post
Any person or organisation can avail of Direct Post. However, some of the organizations and the beneficial uses of direct Post by them, have been tabulated below:
Likely Users of Direct Post
7. Any other relevant facts about Direct Post
· The senders of Direct Post can specify the numbers and areas, in which the sender wishes the Direct Post articles to be distributed. However, no commitment would be given for delivery of the article to any particular address or a person.
· The sender would be informed that the articles handed over by him had been delivered according to his instructions.
· In case the sender desires the articles to be printed, or requires any other pre-mailing activity, this could also be provided on payment under the business post, separately. Though these activities can be combined with Direct Post, they do not form part of the product ‘Direct Post’
8. Are any estimates of Direct Mail and un-addressed mail in India available.
India Post got an independent study done. Based on the study, the traffic projections are given below:
Traffic Projection for Direct Mail in India
(crores of Pieces)
* One India One Rate - Up to 50 Gms, Taxes extra
# Local Speed Post - Up to 50 Gms,Taxes extra
Business Development & Markering Division
Kerala Postal Circle
|Home | Sitemap | About Us | Contact Us | Employee Corner | eMail | Disclaimer | Right to Information
Designed, Developed,Owned and Maintained by O/o the Chief Postmaster General, Kerala Circle, Thiruvananthapuram 695033
© Kerala Postal Circle 2010-14